Melbourne, Australia Is The World’s Best Place To Live?
In a recent ranking of the world’s “most livable” cities, Melbourne, Australia took the number one spot. The Economist Intelligence Unit gave the city perfect marks for education, healthcare, and infrastructure while Melbourne’s total score was 97.5 out of 100, only losing a few spare points for climate, petty crime, and culture. Australia had five other cities in the top 10, but Melbourne with its Gothic Laneways, music culture, and gorgeous Yarra River was proclaimed the very best.
8 Reasons why Melbourne is the World’s Best Place to Live
- Melbourne sits on the gorgeous Yarra River, making it a prime spot for water sports, boating, and scenic views.
- The city also hosts many world acclaimed festivals from the Melbourne Food & Wine festival, L’oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival to International Comedy Festival, plus more.
- Melbourne’s residents are surrounded by cutting-edge architecture, like the Digital Harbour Port 1010, the Arts Centre Melbourne spire, and the Melbourne Recital Centre, while balanced with ample parks and gardens, such as the famous Royal Park which covers 420 acres and is open to the public.
- Melbourne is considered a UNESCO City of Literature because of its literary festivals, book stores, publishers, and history of famous, award-winning authors.
- Behind Melbourne’s grid-like streets are quirky little Gothic Laneways which house restaurants, book stores, and unique shops. Not forgetting the vibrant nightlife options that include underground bars, jazz cafés, and dance clubs hidden along the Laneways.
- Melbourne is also a shopping haven. With its seductive network of atmospheric laneways and elegant Victorian arcades, Melbourne has always been an enchanting city to shop in. Flinders Lane, Little Collins Street and the network of laneways fanning out from Degreaves Street are all brilliant spots to uncover intimate specialized stores selling shoes, lingerie, handbags, vintage and tailor-made clothing and jewellery. And if markets are your thing, Melbourne has one of Australia’s best and largest open air shopping markets — The Queen Victoria Market from 1878 — where people flock on the weekends.
- For the sports-loving globetrotters, Melbourne is a sporting powerhouse capital city with regular flagship big guns from the Australian Open, Formula One Rolex Australian Grand Prix, to the Melbourne Cup carnival and more, which continue to draw hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.
- Melbourne is never too hot or too cold. In the summer, the city sees temps of high-70s to low-80s, while the winter drops down to only ~60 degrees. Getting around the city is super easy thanks to Melbourne’s tram network, which covers over 150 miles and is one of the best in the world.
Australia was indeed the top country in this list as there were 4 cities listed in the top ten list for 2013. The overall list for Top 10 are as follows;
The world’s top 10 most livable cities:
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Calgary, Canada
8. Helsinki, Finland
10. Auckland, New Zealand
For more information, visit http://www.visitmelbourne.com/my